The Knysna Hearing and Health Centre was established in 2000 by professional therapist and practitioner, Hannelie Kemp who had been involved with children for many years on an educational and therapeutic level.
The centre specialises in optimal functioning associated with learning, hearing and communication. Various counselling and intervention methods are used to assist each individual client, with the focus on self empowerment.
With a passion to empower the youth, the centre started a community outreach project in 2013, called ‘Hope for Hearing’ which exists to give deaf and hard-of-hearing babies, toddlers and teenagers every opportunity to develop normally and become part of the hearing world.
Meet Hannelie Kemp
Hannelie’s academic background includes an Honours diploma in Psychology, a diploma in Pre-Primary Education, an Art degree, Trauma Counselling and a Masters degree in Educational Psychology. She studied at the Department of Communication Pathology at the University of Pretoria.
The knowledge obtained from various courses in America, and a QEEG course in Prague, are used to the benefit of her clients and students. She is one of 5 trainers of Berard AIT practitioners in the world and one of 12 private trainers who has been appointed by the Biofeedback Institute of America to teach Neuro- and Biofeedback to professionals.
Hannelie is registered with the HPCSA as a Trauma Counsellor as well as a Hearing Aid Acoustician.
Professionals worldwide have been taught by Hannelie and she presented papers and workshops at world conferences on Autism, Ego State Therapy and Neurofeedback. However, her biggest love remains helping the individual to obtain optimal functioning, whether in the classroom, the boardroom or on the sports field.
We cannot change the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
- 2008 – ENT/SAHNOS/SASLHA/SAAA Congress – Durban
- 2009 – ENT/SAHNOS/SASLHA/SAAA – Cape Town
- 2010 – ENT/SAHNOS/SASLHA/SAAA Congress – Chapman’s Peak, Drakensberg
- 2011 – ENT/SAHNOS/SASLHA/SAAA Congress – Port Elizabeth
- 2012 - International Conference – Coalition for Global Hearing Health, Pretoria
- 2012 - Hi Hopes Training – Wits University. Home Intervention programme for children who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Hannelie qualified as a Parent Advisor
- 2012 - Oticon, Country Workshop, Magaliesburg – Douglas Beck and Able Carsten, USA
- 2013 - HASS Paediatric Conference, Cape Town – Dr Marlene Bagatto, Canadian paediatric hearing specialist from the National Centre for Audiology at Western University in Ontario.
- 2013 - University of Pretoria – Cochlear Implants: Do they meet their expectations? Prof Vinck & Prof Dr Astrid van Wieringen, Belgium
- 2013 - Tygerberg Hospital, Cape Town – Demystifying Cochlear Implants, – Lida Muller
- 2013 - SAAA BAHA @Workshop – Bloemfontein
- 2013 – ENT/SAHNOS/SASLHA/SAAA Congress – Bloemfontein
- 2013 – Univ. van Pretoria – Vestibular Workshop. Assessment and management
- 1972- BA-degree – University of Pretoria
- 1983 – HED (Pre-primary) Diploma – Unisa
- 1998 – BA-Fine Arts Degree – Unisa
- 1999 – Reception Year Training – Unisa.
- 2001 – Honours in Functional Therapy – Perspective College in Potchefstroom. Endorsed by the Technikon SA.
- 2005 – Psychology Honours at Unisa
- 2006 - Hearing Aid Acoustician, University of Pretoria.
- 2007 - Internship Trauma Counsellor – Unisa
- 2008 - Audiometrist
- 2010 – M-degree in Educational Psychology – North-West University
- 2012 - Clinical Nutritionist – Post Grad Dip Clinical Nutrition, International Academy of Nutrition, Sydney, Australia
- 1998 – Play Therapy Courses – Introductory and Advanced, with Reyhana Ravat.
- 2000 – Two courses in Audiblocks.
- 2001 – Educational Kinesiologist
- 2001 - Berard Auditory Integration Training Practitioner.
- 2001 – Autogenic Training – relaxation techniques.
- 2001- Neurofeedback Training in Los Angeles, USA
- 2002- International course in Anatomy & Physiology as well as Biofeedback – dr. Rich Sherman. Washington State, USA
- 2002- Attended an International ADHD Conference.
- 2003- Biofeedback Practical in Seattle, Washington State, USA
- 2003 –Neurofeedback advanced course in Hartsdale, New York
- 2003- Appointed as an International Trainer of Berard AIT Practitioners by Dr. Steve Edelsohn of Oregon, USA.
- 2004 –Visual Perceptual Trainer
- 2004- In Denver USA, I wrote and passed the exam and all the requirements to become BCIA-EEG certified. #E1614
- 2004- Play Therapy Courses in Gestalt perspective. Beginners and Advanced.
- 2004 – Course on The Physiological Basis of Learning and Kinesiology – Carla Hannaford.
- 2005 – Accredited by BCIA as a Training Centre for Neurofeedback Practitioners. The only training centre outside America and Canada.
- 2006 - BCIA- Biofeedback Practitioner. #4741
- 2007 - Primitive Reflexes – Claire Hocking – Australia
- 2007 - Incontinence Training – Minneapolis, Minnesota & Long Island, New York.
- 2009 - QEEG training in Prague.
- 2013 – GAPS Practitioner – London – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, MMedSci(neurology), MMedSci (nutrition). Gut and Psychology Syndrome & Gut and Physiology Syndrome
- 1986 - Lectured at Boitjorisong College, Qwa-qwa, Advanced Training Courses for Teachers.
- 1987 - Teacher at Harrismith Pre-primary School.
- 1990 - 1997 Art Teacher at private Art School.
- 1998 - 2005 Proprietor and Teacher at Pre-Primary School.
- 2000 – Counsellor; Neurofeedback – ; Biofeedback – ; and Berard AIT Practitioner.
- 2003 - International Berard AIT Trainer. Train Berard AIT practitioners in SA and abroad.
- 2003 - Accredited International BCIA Neurofeedback Trainer.
- 2003-2013 – Trained Berard AIT practitioners in South Africa, Israel, AbuDhabi, Saudi Arabia, and the USA.
- 2003-2013 – Trained Bio- and Neurofeedback practitioners in South Africa, Israel and Egypt.
- 2006 – Present paper at Neurofeedback Conference in San Diego California.
- 2006 – Present poster at Autism World Conference in Cape Town.
- 2007 - Internship as Trauma Counsellor
- 2007 - Present Paper at Berard AIT Conference in Connecticut, USA
- 2008 - Moved private practice to Knysna. Hearing Aid Acoustician; Audiometrist; Trauma Counsellor, Neurofeedback practitioner & Trainer; Berard AIT practitioner & Trainer
- 2009 - Present paper at SA ACAPAP South African Association for Child & Adolescent Psychiatry & Allied Professions Congress 2009 in association with PANDA
- 2010 - Present workshop at MEISA World Conference
- 2012 - Present two posters at the 30th International Congress of Psychology in Cape Town.